Compact and versatile solution for utility and industrial power distribution systems
RED615 is a phase-segregated two-end line differential protection and control relay designed for utility and industrial power systems, including radial, looped and meshed distribution networks with or without distributed power generation. RED615 is also designed for the protection of line differential applications with a transformer within the protection zone. RED615 relays communicate between substations over a fiber optic link or a galvanic pilot wire connection. RED615 is a member of ABB’s Relion® product family and part of its 615 protection and control product series. The 615 series relays are characterized by their compactness and withdrawable-unit design. Re-engineered from the ground up, the 615 series has been guided by the IEC 61850 standard for communication and interoperability of substation automation equipment.
The relay provides unit type main protection for overhead lines and cable feeders in distribution networks. The relay also features current-based protection functions for remote backup for down-stream protection relays and local back-up for the line differential main protection. Further, standard configurations B and C also include earth-fault protection. Standard configurations D and E include directional overcurrent and voltage based protection functions.
- Selective unit protection as phase-segregated two-end line differential protection, either with sensors or conventional instrument transformers
- Ready-made standard configurations, including line differential communication, for fast and easy setup with tailoring capabilities
- Withdrawable plug-in unit design for swift installation and testing
- Large graphical display for showing customizable SLDs, accessible either locally or through an easy-to-use web-browser-based HMI
- Extensive life-cycle services
- Line differential protection with directional or non-directional overcurrent and earth-fault protection, voltage- and frequency-based protection and measurement functionality
- Line differential communication between substations either over a fiber-optic link or a galvanic pilot wire connection; ideal for line differential applications with an in-zone transformer
- Optional advanced and fast fault location of short circuits and earth faults
- Supports IEC 61850 Editions 1 and 2, including HSR and PRP, GOOSE messaging and IEC 61850-9-2 LE for less wiring and supervised communication
- IEEE 1588 V2 for high-accuracy time synchronization and maximum benefit of substation-level Ethernet communication
- Supports Modbus, DNP3 and IEC 60870-5-103 communication protocols